Baltic Pride Saved After Court Lifts Council Ban
Baltic Pride has been saved after Riga’s Administrative Court lifted a ban imposed by the city council on tomorrow’s Pride march.
Thirty four of the 60 city council members had written to executive director Andris Grinbergs, demanding permission for the parade to be withdrawn on the grounds that it was offensive to public decency and posed a threat to public security.
A representative of the city council appeared at the Administrative Court this morning and could not provide clear reasons why the march had been cancelled. The court then lifted the ban.
The court hearing was attended by the representatives of No Pride movement, Roman Catholic Church in Latvia and a religious sect New Generation.
All three asked the Court to participate in the hearing as interested parties. However, their requests were denied.
The march has been organised by Latvian organisation Mozaika, the Lithuanian Gay League and Estonian Gay Youth, who expect around 700 people to take part.
In a statement issued immediately following the court hearing, LGBT group ILGA-Europe said it was “delighted” at the outcome.
“[We] congratulate the Latvian judicial system for yet another instance of defending the fundamental human rights in the country,”, spokesperson Juris Lavrikovs said.
- Our Dear Friend Doug Ireland Is Dead at 67
- Gays & Muslims Unite. Stop all Extremists by Peter Tatchell
- Saudi Jailed and Flogged for Gay Video (1,000 Lashes)
- Support Amnesty’s Malawi Campaign – Call for Release of Steven Monjeza and Tiwonge Chimbalanga
- Spain: IGLYO – Call for Participants – Legislating LGBTQ, a Conference on Anti-Discrimination Law – Castle of San Servando, Toledo, From May 30th to June 4th 2010
- UK Scouts Condemn Uganda Anti-Homosexuality Bill – By Peter Tatchell
- Russia: A Homophobe, Vasily Likhachev, Appointed Deputy Minister of Justice
- Russia: Religious and Nationalist Groups Call for the Ban of St Petersburg Pride
- Nepal: Eight Transgenders Join UML Party
- Russia Denied Registering Marriage Equality Russia, a Gay Group Campaigning for Marriage Equality
- Tory councillor ‘disturbed’ over Ian McKellen school visit cleared to become mayor
- US: Fox Sports channel charged with discrimination for firing anti-gay pundit
- Canada: Gay porn channel told to ‘show more Canadian content’
- US: Santa Fe elects first openly gay mayor
- Russian minister accidentally called ‘gay lover’ in Channel 4 subtitle mix-up
- Watch this adorable four year old put 34% of Americans to shame with his support for gay marriage
- Ugandan newspaper claims economy will not suffer due to ‘hullabaloo’ over anti-gay law
- University of Illinois to consider adding gender reassignment to health insurance plan
- Dutch politicians canvas for votes on Grindr
- Star of Stonewall anti-bullying film was ‘scared’ of friends’ reaction
- Lesbian and Gay Foundation wins £30,000 top campaign award
- Two more Illinois counties begin issuing gay marriage licences
- South Africa: OUT launches campaign to alert gay men of dangers of casual sex dates
- Raped and tortured Nigerian in danger of being deported
- Maurice Tomlinson's David Kato Award Speech
- Video: Ban Ki Moon 'Respect gay rights' to African leaders
- Ban Ki Moon to African Union: Respect gay rights
- Uganda: Activists pay tribute to David Kato one year since murder
- Kenya: Blackmail and extortion of gay men on the rise
- "Ich bin ein Niemand" ["I'm a nobody"]: Gay Iranian refused German asylum
- Evil against LGBT: Ostensibly in the name of god + the law
- 'Homosexual panic' grips Tunisian politics
- Video: In US, another gay bi-national couple faces deportation
- New research on mental health of LGBT refugees
- Slovakia must reject the homophobic proposal to redefine marriage in the constitution
- Want to join the ILGA-Europe staff team?
- Call for submissions: OSCE Hate crime report 2013
- The EU leaders have spoken: EU has to step up its work on LGBTI equality
- EU leaders to discuss human rights and LGBTI equality
- Urgent appeal to the authorities of the Netherlands not to deport Clydel K.
- A letter from Camp Liberty (Iraq)
- European External Action Service risponde a EveryOne Group
- Prêmio Internacional Petreca Dini 2013 a Steed Gamero
- Secret burial of 52 Ashraf victims: an appeal to OHCHR
- Persécution des Roms: le Conseil de l'Europe répond à EveryOne Group
- Giovanni Palatucci remains Righteous. Declares Yad Vashem
- We have sent an appeal to the EU against the evictions of Roma families
- Roms: expulsions sans solutions alternatives en Italie
- Front Line Defenders launches Olympics campaign on 12 human rights defenders
- Frank Mugisha: Part 2 - Interview with Ugandan LGBTI Activist
- Frank Mugisha: Part 1 - Interview with Ugandan LGBTI Activist
- Peter Tatchell: Malawi Intensifies Prosecution of Gays (II)
- Peter Tatchell: Malawi Intensifies Prosecution of Gays (I)
- Malawian Gay Couple Appear in Court
- Davis Mac-Iyalla (Nigeria and co-founder of GAAI)
- Anarşi NİhilisT - Anarchist Protest in Turkey
- Support Israeli Human Rights Activist Ezra Nawi
- Robert Badinter Speech - World Congress Against Homophobia and Transphobia - Paris 15 May 2009
- Slavic Pride 2009: 40 Arrested - Tatchell Is Speaking
- Slavic Pride 2009: 40 Arrested - Andy Thayer Speaking
- Slavic Pride 2009: 40 Arrested
- Russian Ministry of Justice refused Marriage Equality
- NYC: Brendan Fay - Protest At Iraq Mission Murders Gay Men
- Jamaican Boycott Rum Dump at Historic Stonewall Inn
- Gay Iraqi May Face Death Penalty
- San Francisco Gays Protest 6 Gay Iraqi Murders, April 6 2009
- Rama Yade, Maxime Verhagen - ONU, 18 décembre 2008 (Full)
- Rama Yade, Maxime Verhagen - ONU, New York, 18 décembre 2008
- Iraq: Queer Fear - Gay Life, Gay Death
- Pegah Emambakhsh's Interview - BBC Radio 4 - March 8th 2008
- Iran: Execution of 29 People, Sunday 27th July 2008
- South Africa: TAC, AIDS Groups Help “Foreigners"
- Mehdi Kazemi: EU Parliament Vote
- In the Name of God, or Gods, whatever
- Not so subtle call to kill gays.
- Ugandan 'leadership'
- Messing up my world....
- A Wet Sunday Afternoon
- Miscellaneous issues.....
- Madness in Ghana... Investigation of Homosexuals!!!!!
- Reparative Therapy.
- HIV Prevention....
- 30 years of HIV, AIDS
- Martyrs Day in Uganda....
- Its a Beautiful Day!
- Tbilisi: "Combating Hate Crimes in Georgia" (LGBT advocacy video project)
- How homophobic posters turn into anti-homophobia message in Yerevan
- Yerevan diaries: Anecdote, Grindr and more :))
- Video: "Ես դեմ եմ Հոմոֆոբիային" / "I'm against homophobia"
- British Council Armenia continues shameful collaboration with homophobic media
- Armenian lesbian matchmaker to the straights kicks off season 2 with a serious message
- Notorious “burn gay hearts” Putin propagandist Kiselev established club in Armenia capital
- Azerbaijan LGBT rights activist commits suicide: “This country and this world are not for me”...
- Human Rights Watch: World Report 2014 on LGBT rights violations in Armenia and Georgia, silence re Azerbaijan
- Yerevan Diaries: camp design
- Shoes, sex, Selfridges, London
- Our Dear Friend Doug Ireland Is Dead at 67 wp.me/p6Zdh-HZ 3 months ago
- Gays & Muslims Unite. Stop all Extremists by Peter Tatchell wp.me/p6Zdh-HS 4 months ago
- Babi Badalov, Gay Azerbaijani Artist Rejected by the UK Wins Asylum in France http://wp.me/p6Zdh-Hi 2 years ago
- A quién lloran los homosexuales polacos: http://wp.me/p6Zdh-Hb 3 years ago
- Saudi Jailed and Flogged for Gay Video (1,000 Lashes): http://wp.me/p6Zdh-H9 3 years ago
- Support Amnesty's Malawi Campaign - Call for Release of Steven Monjeza and Tiwonge Chimbalanga: http://wp.me/p6Zdh-H6 3 years ago
- Amnesty International Is Being Urged to Adopt Steven Monjeza and Tiwonge Chimbalanga as Prisoners of Conscience - By … http://wp.me/p6Zdh-H0 3 years ago
- Spain: IGLYO - Call for Participants - Legislating LGBTQ, a Conference on Anti-Discrimination Law - Castle of San Ser… http://wp.me/p6Zdh-GW 3 years ago
- UK: Greens Launch LGBT Manifesto: http://wp.me/p6Zdh-GT 4 years ago
- Babi Badalov: L'Homophobie (Artwork): http://wp.me/p6Zdh-GN 4 years ago
- Distorting Desire by Brian Whitaker, about Desiring Arabs by Joseph Massad
- Gays back disabled protest in Gibraltar – Peter Tatchell Supports Parents’ Demand for a Public Inquiry
- Gays Without Borders Newsletter Subscription
- Makwan Moloudzadeh, the Whole Story, by Doug Ireland
- Mehdi Kazemi Is Safe – EveryOne Group Celebrates With Allies And Announces New Human Right Campains
- Moses: The Passover Trip and Other Biblical Hallucinations
- Peter Tatchell: Asylum System is Criminal
- Peter Tatchell: Galloway’s Iranian Propaganda?
- Peter Tatchell: Gay Asylum Reform Proposals
- Petition for Mehdi Kazemi: Europe Must Stop Deportation of Iranian Queers
- Poster Folsom Europe Berlin, 01 September 07
- Poster Folsom Europe Berlin, 06 September 08 and Folsom Street Fair
- Statement on Human Rights, Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity
- Support the Iranian People, Oppose Tehran’s Clerical Fascism by Peter Tatchell
- Wrong Side Of The Tracks
Activism Ahmadinejad AIDS Ali Hili Asylum Christo-Fascism Death Penalty Deportation Execution France Gay Gay Life Gay Rights Gays Without Borders GLBT GWB Hanging Homophobia Homosexuality Human Rights Irak Iran Iraq Iraqi Iraqi LGBT Islam Islamism Lesbian Lesbianism LGBT LGBTQ LGBTT London Mehdi Kazemi Moscow News Nicolas Alexeyev Nikolai Alekseev Nikolai Alekseyev Outrage Peter Tatchell Queer Refugee Russia Uganda UK UN Universal Decriminalisation of Homosexuality US Vatican
- November 2013
- October 2013
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- May 2009
- April 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
- July 2008
- June 2008
- May 2008
- April 2008
- March 2008
- February 2008
- January 2008
- December 2007
- November 2007
- October 2007
- September 2007