Baltic Pride Saved After Court Lifts Council Ban
Baltic Pride has been saved after Riga’s Administrative Court lifted a ban imposed by the city council on tomorrow’s Pride march.
Thirty four of the 60 city council members had written to executive director Andris Grinbergs, demanding permission for the parade to be withdrawn on the grounds that it was offensive to public decency and posed a threat to public security.
A representative of the city council appeared at the Administrative Court this morning and could not provide clear reasons why the march had been cancelled. The court then lifted the ban.
The court hearing was attended by the representatives of No Pride movement, Roman Catholic Church in Latvia and a religious sect New Generation.
All three asked the Court to participate in the hearing as interested parties. However, their requests were denied.
The march has been organised by Latvian organisation Mozaika, the Lithuanian Gay League and Estonian Gay Youth, who expect around 700 people to take part.
In a statement issued immediately following the court hearing, LGBT group ILGA-Europe said it was “delighted” at the outcome.
“[We] congratulate the Latvian judicial system for yet another instance of defending the fundamental human rights in the country,”, spokesperson Juris Lavrikovs said.
- Republican compares gay people to slave owners
- San Francisco mayor bans trips to Indiana over anti-gay law
- $4 billion corporation to boycott Indiana over anti-gay ‘religious freedom’ law
- Katie Hopkins promises to leave the UK if Ed Miliband becomes PM
- Bakery in ‘gay cake’ row asked why it makes Halloween cakes, but not gay marriage ones
- Heather Peace expecting a child with her partner
- Blaze destroys historic gay landmarks at New York’s Fire Island
- 8 ways LGBT martial arts will change your life
- Lib Dems pledge to extend same-sex marriage to cover UK and non-UK nationals living abroad
- Men’s website names Laverne Cox in its ‘Top 99 Most Outstanding Women’
- David Cameron: I personally raised gay rights with Vladimir Putin
- Governor wants ‘Religious freedom’ for Arkansas
- South Africa: OUT launches campaign to alert gay men of dangers of casual sex dates
- Raped and tortured Nigerian in danger of being deported
- Maurice Tomlinson's David Kato Award Speech
- Video: Ban Ki Moon 'Respect gay rights' to African leaders
- Ban Ki Moon to African Union: Respect gay rights
- Uganda: Activists pay tribute to David Kato one year since murder
- Kenya: Blackmail and extortion of gay men on the rise
- "Ich bin ein Niemand" ["I'm a nobody"]: Gay Iranian refused German asylum
- Evil against LGBT: Ostensibly in the name of god + the law
- 'Homosexual panic' grips Tunisian politics
- Video: In US, another gay bi-national couple faces deportation
- New research on mental health of LGBT refugees
- PACE declaration on human rights and democracy in Iran
- Kenya, EveryOne Group is appealing to UNHCR to help the refugee Willy K.
- Six Roma children taken from their parents in the UK, in a case of institutional abuse
- Uganda's LGBTI community launches Bombastic Magazine
- Remembering Ugandan Equality Advocate David Kato
- An urgent appeal to remove the medical blockade of the residents in Camp Liberty
- Many people are celebrating the tragedy that took place in Paris
- Makwan Prize: A Letter from Patrick Leuben Mukajanga to Tim Cook
- Barring entry of gasoline to Camp Liberty for fifth straight week
- UK, Judith has been granted humanitarian protection
- Frank Mugisha: Part 2 - Interview with Ugandan LGBTI Activist
- Frank Mugisha: Part 1 - Interview with Ugandan LGBTI Activist
- Peter Tatchell: Malawi Intensifies Prosecution of Gays (II)
- Peter Tatchell: Malawi Intensifies Prosecution of Gays (I)
- Malawian Gay Couple Appear in Court
- Davis Mac-Iyalla (Nigeria and co-founder of GAAI)
- Anarşi NİhilisT - Anarchist Protest in Turkey
- Support Israeli Human Rights Activist Ezra Nawi
- Robert Badinter Speech - World Congress Against Homophobia and Transphobia - Paris 15 May 2009
- Slavic Pride 2009: 40 Arrested - Tatchell Is Speaking
- Slavic Pride 2009: 40 Arrested - Andy Thayer Speaking
- Slavic Pride 2009: 40 Arrested
- Russian Ministry of Justice refused Marriage Equality
- NYC: Brendan Fay - Protest At Iraq Mission Murders Gay Men
- Jamaican Boycott Rum Dump at Historic Stonewall Inn
- Gay Iraqi May Face Death Penalty
- San Francisco Gays Protest 6 Gay Iraqi Murders, April 6 2009
- Rama Yade, Maxime Verhagen - ONU, 18 décembre 2008 (Full)
- Rama Yade, Maxime Verhagen - ONU, New York, 18 décembre 2008
- Iraq: Queer Fear - Gay Life, Gay Death
- Pegah Emambakhsh's Interview - BBC Radio 4 - March 8th 2008
- Iran: Execution of 29 People, Sunday 27th July 2008
- South Africa: TAC, AIDS Groups Help “Foreigners"
- Mehdi Kazemi: EU Parliament Vote
- In the Name of God, or Gods, whatever
- Not so subtle call to kill gays.
- Ugandan 'leadership'
- Messing up my world....
- A Wet Sunday Afternoon
- Miscellaneous issues.....
- Madness in Ghana... Investigation of Homosexuals!!!!!
- Reparative Therapy.
- HIV Prevention....
- 30 years of HIV, AIDS
- Martyrs Day in Uganda....
- Its a Beautiful Day!
- EU sees "limited" human rights progress in Armenia and calls authorities to adopt LGBT inclusive anti-discrimination legislation
- The Irrepressibles gig in London: full of emotions, strength and vulnerability
- Rainbow Istanbul, with Armenian touch
- House of Cards, season 3 explosive storyline against Russia’s anti-gay law
- Valentine’s Day in the streets of Yerevan: How young people define “love”?
- Video summary: The impact of LGBT emigration on economic indicators of Armenia
- “Yerevan Gay” - new Armenian LGBT blog
- (IN)2VALUABLE photo exhibit and contest by PINK Armenia tackles intolerance and discrimination
- “We Are Among You” campaign by LGBT group in Azerbaijan
- Human Rights Watch "World Report 2015": reflections on LGBT rights in Armenia, Georgia and Azerbaijan
- PACE delegates: Armenian authorities fail to condemn incitement to hatred against LGBT people
- Research: The impact of LGBT emigration on economic indicators of Armenia
- Our Dear Friend Doug Ireland Is Dead at 67 wp.me/p6Zdh-HZ 1 year ago
- Gays & Muslims Unite. Stop all Extremists by Peter Tatchell wp.me/p6Zdh-HS 1 year ago
- Babi Badalov, Gay Azerbaijani Artist Rejected by the UK Wins Asylum in France http://wp.me/p6Zdh-Hi 3 years ago
- A quién lloran los homosexuales polacos: http://wp.me/p6Zdh-Hb 4 years ago
- Saudi Jailed and Flogged for Gay Video (1,000 Lashes): http://wp.me/p6Zdh-H9 5 years ago
- Support Amnesty's Malawi Campaign - Call for Release of Steven Monjeza and Tiwonge Chimbalanga: http://wp.me/p6Zdh-H6 5 years ago
- Amnesty International Is Being Urged to Adopt Steven Monjeza and Tiwonge Chimbalanga as Prisoners of Conscience - By … http://wp.me/p6Zdh-H0 5 years ago
- Spain: IGLYO - Call for Participants - Legislating LGBTQ, a Conference on Anti-Discrimination Law - Castle of San Ser… http://wp.me/p6Zdh-GW 5 years ago
- UK: Greens Launch LGBT Manifesto: http://wp.me/p6Zdh-GT 5 years ago
- Babi Badalov: L'Homophobie (Artwork): http://wp.me/p6Zdh-GN 5 years ago
- Distorting Desire by Brian Whitaker, about Desiring Arabs by Joseph Massad
- Gays back disabled protest in Gibraltar – Peter Tatchell Supports Parents’ Demand for a Public Inquiry
- Gays Without Borders Newsletter Subscription
- Makwan Moloudzadeh, the Whole Story, by Doug Ireland
- Mehdi Kazemi Is Safe – EveryOne Group Celebrates With Allies And Announces New Human Right Campains
- Moses: The Passover Trip and Other Biblical Hallucinations
- Peter Tatchell: Asylum System is Criminal
- Peter Tatchell: Galloway’s Iranian Propaganda?
- Peter Tatchell: Gay Asylum Reform Proposals
- Petition for Mehdi Kazemi: Europe Must Stop Deportation of Iranian Queers
- Poster Folsom Europe Berlin, 01 September 07
- Poster Folsom Europe Berlin, 06 September 08 and Folsom Street Fair
- Statement on Human Rights, Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity
- Support the Iranian People, Oppose Tehran’s Clerical Fascism by Peter Tatchell
- Wrong Side Of The Tracks
Activism Ahmadinejad AIDS Ali Hili Asylum Christo-Fascism Death Penalty Deportation Execution France Gay Gay Life Gay Rights Gays Without Borders GLBT GWB Hanging Homophobia Homosexuality Human Rights Irak Iran Iraq Iraqi Iraqi LGBT Islam Islamism Lesbian Lesbianism LGBT LGBTQ LGBTT London Mehdi Kazemi Moscow News Nicolas Alexeyev Nikolai Alekseev Nikolai Alekseyev Outrage Peter Tatchell Queer Refugee Russia Uganda UK UN Universal Decriminalisation of Homosexuality US Vatican
- November 2013
- October 2013
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- May 2009
- April 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
- July 2008
- June 2008
- May 2008
- April 2008
- March 2008
- February 2008
- January 2008
- December 2007
- November 2007
- October 2007
- September 2007