Baltic Pride Saved After Court Lifts Council Ban
Baltic Pride has been saved after Riga’s Administrative Court lifted a ban imposed by the city council on tomorrow’s Pride march.
Thirty four of the 60 city council members had written to executive director Andris Grinbergs, demanding permission for the parade to be withdrawn on the grounds that it was offensive to public decency and posed a threat to public security.
A representative of the city council appeared at the Administrative Court this morning and could not provide clear reasons why the march had been cancelled. The court then lifted the ban.
The court hearing was attended by the representatives of No Pride movement, Roman Catholic Church in Latvia and a religious sect New Generation.
All three asked the Court to participate in the hearing as interested parties. However, their requests were denied.
The march has been organised by Latvian organisation Mozaika, the Lithuanian Gay League and Estonian Gay Youth, who expect around 700 people to take part.
In a statement issued immediately following the court hearing, LGBT group ILGA-Europe said it was “delighted” at the outcome.
“[We] congratulate the Latvian judicial system for yet another instance of defending the fundamental human rights in the country,”, spokesperson Juris Lavrikovs said.
- Our Dear Friend Doug Ireland Is Dead at 67
- Gays & Muslims Unite. Stop all Extremists by Peter Tatchell
- Saudi Jailed and Flogged for Gay Video (1,000 Lashes)
- Support Amnesty’s Malawi Campaign – Call for Release of Steven Monjeza and Tiwonge Chimbalanga
- Spain: IGLYO – Call for Participants – Legislating LGBTQ, a Conference on Anti-Discrimination Law – Castle of San Servando, Toledo, From May 30th to June 4th 2010
- UK Scouts Condemn Uganda Anti-Homosexuality Bill – By Peter Tatchell
- Russia: A Homophobe, Vasily Likhachev, Appointed Deputy Minister of Justice
- Russia: Religious and Nationalist Groups Call for the Ban of St Petersburg Pride
- Nepal: Eight Transgenders Join UML Party
- Russia Denied Registering Marriage Equality Russia, a Gay Group Campaigning for Marriage Equality
- Cate Blanchett in drag lip-syncing to ‘You Don’t Own Me’ is the only thing you ever need to see
- Trump administration to issue new guidelines on trans student bathroom access
- The naked Trump troll doll he probably wants noone to see just got fully funded
- Investors worth a combined $11 trillion warn Texas not to pass anti-LGBT legislation
- This music legend is using money from anti-gay Chick-fil-A to defend LGBT rights
- Milo Yiannopoulos exits Breitbart over paedophile row
- Julian Assange attacks ‘censorship’ of Milo Yiannopoulos over paedophile controversy
- This newly out politician is calling for a bipartisan effort to repeal North Carolina’s anti-trans law
- Katie Hopkins and Caroline Lucas break into row about ‘vegan lesbians’
- Franklin Graham thinks liberals are trying to push things down your throat
- Basketball star claims she was bullied for being straight in ‘98% gay’ sport
- France’s Marine Le Pen in row with Lebanon because she refused to wear headscarf
- South Africa: OUT launches campaign to alert gay men of dangers of casual sex dates
- Maurice Tomlinson's David Kato Award Speech
- Video: Ban Ki Moon 'Respect gay rights' to African leaders
- Ban Ki Moon to African Union: Respect gay rights
- Uganda: Activists pay tribute to David Kato one year since murder
- Kenya: Blackmail and extortion of gay men on the rise
- "Ich bin ein Niemand" ["I'm a nobody"]: Gay Iranian refused German asylum
- Evil against LGBT: Ostensibly in the name of god + the law
- 'Homosexual panic' grips Tunisian politics
- Video: In US, another gay bi-national couple faces deportation
- New research on mental health of LGBT refugees
- Israel refuses citizenship for Israeli man's husband
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- Appeal to international institutions: a dangerous coal plant is going to be reopened in Genoa
- 2 août. Journée internationale de Commémoration de l’Holocauste des Roms
- Surmonter les camps de Roms. Une idéologie perverse
- Je suis* Jacques Hamel
- Terrorist attack in Nice. A message of condolence
- Our condolence for the death of Burundian former Minister Hon. Hafsa Mossi
- Camp Liberty under missile attack
- Urgent action needed to protect the refugee M.J.
- We are Istanbul
- Brasil. Homenagem ao dia Nacional do Cigano e Santa Sara Kali
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- Russian Ministry of Justice refused Marriage Equality
- NYC: Brendan Fay - Protest At Iraq Mission Murders Gay Men
- Jamaican Boycott Rum Dump at Historic Stonewall Inn
- Gay Iraqi May Face Death Penalty
- San Francisco Gays Protest 6 Gay Iraqi Murders, April 6 2009
- Rama Yade, Maxime Verhagen - ONU, 18 décembre 2008 (Full)
- Rama Yade, Maxime Verhagen - ONU, New York, 18 décembre 2008
- Iraq: Queer Fear - Gay Life, Gay Death
- Pegah Emambakhsh's Interview - BBC Radio 4 - March 8th 2008
- Iran: Execution of 29 People, Sunday 27th July 2008
- South Africa: TAC, AIDS Groups Help “Foreigners"
- Mehdi Kazemi: EU Parliament Vote
- All the Haters.....
- Being a Leader
- To A Moral Uganda?
- BBC Witness; A Valentine's Day Special....
- Irresponsible Reporting
- Kenny the Nigerian; Forced Outing
- Social Media..., your phone contact list....
- Films of Queer Africa
- The Confidence to Be yourself.
- Somizi; Queer Africans of Faith
- Why Advocate?
- Happiness, Love, Great Expectations in 2017!
- Embassy of Sweden in Yerevan delivers Valentine’s note featuring gay couple
- X Factor Armenia judges: homophobes, closets and… drag
- Australian Armenian same-sex marriage supporter Gladys Berejiklian appointed Premier of Australia’s most populous state
- Personal: growing up with George Michael
- 2nd Rainbow Armenia LGBT rights forum underway - Picture of the Day
- NEFUIL: new initiative by Armenian LGBT activist
- Pope Francis in Armenia presented with the “gift of the Armenian people” created by openly gay American-Armenian designer Michael Aram
- Istanbul Gay Pride: my diary of a powerful LGBT civil rights march
- London Pride 2016 (photo story)
- Armenia and Orlando
- Yerevan, Baku, Tbilisi: in solidarity with Orlando
- London, Soho: in solidarity with Orlando
- Our Dear Friend Doug Ireland Is Dead at 67 wp.me/p6Zdh-HZ 3 years ago
- Gays & Muslims Unite. Stop all Extremists by Peter Tatchell wp.me/p6Zdh-HS 3 years ago
- Babi Badalov, Gay Azerbaijani Artist Rejected by the UK Wins Asylum in France http://wp.me/p6Zdh-Hi 5 years ago
- A quién lloran los homosexuales polacos: http://wp.me/p6Zdh-Hb 6 years ago
- Saudi Jailed and Flogged for Gay Video (1,000 Lashes): http://wp.me/p6Zdh-H9 6 years ago
- Support Amnesty's Malawi Campaign - Call for Release of Steven Monjeza and Tiwonge Chimbalanga: http://wp.me/p6Zdh-H6 6 years ago
- Amnesty International Is Being Urged to Adopt Steven Monjeza and Tiwonge Chimbalanga as Prisoners of Conscience - By … http://wp.me/p6Zdh-H0 6 years ago
- Spain: IGLYO - Call for Participants - Legislating LGBTQ, a Conference on Anti-Discrimination Law - Castle of San Ser… http://wp.me/p6Zdh-GW 6 years ago
- UK: Greens Launch LGBT Manifesto: http://wp.me/p6Zdh-GT 6 years ago
- Babi Badalov: L'Homophobie (Artwork): http://wp.me/p6Zdh-GN 6 years ago
- Distorting Desire by Brian Whitaker, about Desiring Arabs by Joseph Massad
- Gays back disabled protest in Gibraltar – Peter Tatchell Supports Parents’ Demand for a Public Inquiry
- Gays Without Borders Newsletter Subscription
- Makwan Moloudzadeh, the Whole Story, by Doug Ireland
- Mehdi Kazemi Is Safe – EveryOne Group Celebrates With Allies And Announces New Human Right Campains
- Moses: The Passover Trip and Other Biblical Hallucinations
- Peter Tatchell: Asylum System is Criminal
- Peter Tatchell: Galloway’s Iranian Propaganda?
- Peter Tatchell: Gay Asylum Reform Proposals
- Petition for Mehdi Kazemi: Europe Must Stop Deportation of Iranian Queers
- Poster Folsom Europe Berlin, 01 September 07
- Poster Folsom Europe Berlin, 06 September 08 and Folsom Street Fair
- Statement on Human Rights, Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity
- Support the Iranian People, Oppose Tehran’s Clerical Fascism by Peter Tatchell
- Wrong Side Of The Tracks
Activism Ahmadinejad AIDS Ali Hili Asylum Christo-Fascism Death Penalty Deportation Execution France Gay Gay Life Gay Rights Gays Without Borders GLBT GWB Hanging Homophobia Homosexuality Human Rights Irak Iran Iraq Iraqi Iraqi LGBT Islam Islamism Lesbian Lesbianism LGBT LGBTQ LGBTT London Mehdi Kazemi Moscow News Nicolas Alexeyev Nikolai Alekseev Nikolai Alekseyev Outrage Peter Tatchell Queer Refugee Russia Uganda UK UN Universal Decriminalisation of Homosexuality US Vatican
- November 2013
- October 2013
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- May 2009
- April 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
- July 2008
- June 2008
- May 2008
- April 2008
- March 2008
- February 2008
- January 2008
- December 2007
- November 2007
- October 2007
- September 2007