Walter Tróchez: San Francisco Vigil for Honduran Gays and Democracy by Michael Petrelis
Today was inauguration day in Honduras, and Porfirio Lobo was sworn in as the country’s new President. To mark the occasion, gay and democracy advocates took to the street in solidarity with Hondurans. For two-hours this morning, 14 activists staged two vigils at the Honduran consulate in San Francisco’s historic Flood Building on Market Street.
The first vigil took place first, when five gay and HIV/AIDS activists went to the consulate’s office, only to find it closed for the special day. We spent half an hour in the hallway, talking with people from other offices on the 8th floor. We snapped a few pics and thought to leave a message for the workers, when they return tomorrow.
Our signs with Walter Trochez’s visage were taped to the consulate’s door, and a few were slipped under it. A small way to express our concern for the gay citizens of Honduras, especially those who’ve been murdered, and for the full protections of human rights protocols for all Hondurans.
The remainder of the morning was spent engaged in a vigil and flyer-distribution in front of the office building housing the consulate. Members of the Bay Area Latin American Solidarity Coalition, BALASC, including several seniors born in Honduras whose families have suffered harms by rightwing forces over the years. Click here to learn more about the orgs that comprise BALASC, and its multi-faceted political agenda.
This Saturday, January 30, starting at 4 pm, BALASC is holding a town hall meeting with Jose Luis Baquedano, an Honduran labor and political leader active in anti-coup efforts. That meeting is at the Center for Political Education, located at 522 Valencia Street, between 16th and 17th Streets. Stop by to learn more about pro-gay and pro-democracy forces in Honduras.
And big thanks to all the wonderful folks who came out today, on just two-days’ notice, to stand in solidarity with gay people in Honduras, and that nation’s democracy.
- Germans Protest Honduran Gay Murder; Vid, Pics, Report by Michael Petrelis
- Berlin, DC, LA, SF: Protests This Week Over Gay Honduran Murder by Michael Petrelis
- SGN: US Meets Gay Hondurans Over Walter Trochez Murder by Michael Petrelis
- Honduras – Walter Tróchez Queer Alliance: Demo in Berlin – Kundgebung Fotos & Demo Fotos by Chicago Rose
- Walter Tróchez Queer Alliance: Demo in Berlin – 26 January 2010 – Rally & Vigil – San Francisco – Washington – Los Angeles
- Breaking: Walter Trochez, Honduran LGBT Activist Assassinated