Gay Holocaust Memorial Unveiled in Berlin
May 28, 2008 in Albrecht Becker, Berlin, Deportation, Gay, Gay Rights, Germany, GLBT, Holocaust, Homosexuality, Ingar Dragset, LGBT, Memorial, Michael Elmgreen, Paragraph 175, Pierre Seel, Pink Triangle, WWII
A memorial to the thousands of gay men who died in Nazi concentration camps will be officially dedicated today.
It is being constructed opposite the main Holocaust memorial for Jewish victims in Tiergarten Park in Berlin at a cost of 600,000 euros (£450,000).
The government agreed to the design earlier this year, four years after the memorial was agreed in principle.
Ingar Dragset and Michael Elmgreen have designed a grey concrete slab, with a window to allow visitors to view a video.
There will be a video which show either two men kissing, Berlin’s first memorial to the Nazi’s gay victims.
Its design echoes Peter Eisenman’s Berlin memorial to the Nazis’ Jewish victims, a vast field of more than 2,700 slabs.
The German parliament approved the construction of the memorial in December 2003.
Between 5,000 and 15,000 gay men were held in concentration camps by the Nazis as members of an “anti-social group.”
Historians estimate that 60% of them died while incarcerated.
After the war gay men were not recognised as victims of the Holocaust and many were re-imprisoned by the authorities because of the sexuality.
They were denied the reparations and state pensions available to other groups. In 2002 the German government formally pardoned homosexuals imprisoned by the Nazis.
As well as an estimated six million Jews, hundreds of thousands of Roma people died in Nazi concentration camps. A memorial to them will be constructed later this year.
- Our Dear Friend Doug Ireland Is Dead at 67
- Gays & Muslims Unite. Stop all Extremists by Peter Tatchell
- Saudi Jailed and Flogged for Gay Video (1,000 Lashes)
- Support Amnesty’s Malawi Campaign – Call for Release of Steven Monjeza and Tiwonge Chimbalanga
- Spain: IGLYO – Call for Participants – Legislating LGBTQ, a Conference on Anti-Discrimination Law – Castle of San Servando, Toledo, From May 30th to June 4th 2010
- UK Scouts Condemn Uganda Anti-Homosexuality Bill – By Peter Tatchell
- Russia: A Homophobe, Vasily Likhachev, Appointed Deputy Minister of Justice
- Russia: Religious and Nationalist Groups Call for the Ban of St Petersburg Pride
- Nepal: Eight Transgenders Join UML Party
- Russia Denied Registering Marriage Equality Russia, a Gay Group Campaigning for Marriage Equality
- Obama administration sends legal threat to North Carolina Governor over anti-LGBT law
- Professor who ‘led anti-LGBT hate campaign’ against TA sues university over suspension
- Joan Rivers’ iconic rainbow coat donated to LGBT charity auction by daughter
- Seth Rogen admits some Superbad jokes were ‘blatantly homophobic’ (VIDEO)
- Alabama city recalls law to punish trans people with jail for using gender-appropriate bathroom
- Man dies after being beaten and left naked by four men met through escort website
- North Carolina given five days by Justice Dept to scrap HB2 or lose billions of federal dollars
- North Carolina Governor defends HB2, attacks Bruce Springsteen, PayPal
- Watch what happened when a 30 stone man entered ‘Mr Gay UK’ (VIDEO)
- This lone woman single handedly stopped a 300-strong Nazi demonstration
- Game of Thrones star Natalie Dormer wants to set up Westeros Pride
- Superbad’s Seth Rogen admits past films were ‘blatantly homophobic’
- South Africa: OUT launches campaign to alert gay men of dangers of casual sex dates
- Maurice Tomlinson's David Kato Award Speech
- Video: Ban Ki Moon 'Respect gay rights' to African leaders
- Ban Ki Moon to African Union: Respect gay rights
- Uganda: Activists pay tribute to David Kato one year since murder
- Kenya: Blackmail and extortion of gay men on the rise
- "Ich bin ein Niemand" ["I'm a nobody"]: Gay Iranian refused German asylum
- Evil against LGBT: Ostensibly in the name of god + the law
- 'Homosexual panic' grips Tunisian politics
- Video: In US, another gay bi-national couple faces deportation
- New research on mental health of LGBT refugees
- Israel refuses citizenship for Israeli man's husband
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- A sign of Solidarity to the Members of the EP and EC
- Urgent action to protect the Ugandan refugee Jane M.
- Appeal for H. S. and his family, that live in Gambia in tragic conditions
- Urgent Appeal. Camp Liberty (Iraq) under an imminent attack again
- Refugees: a message from the Netherlands
- An appeal for the life of Ashraf Fayadh. The World Poetry Movement relaunches it
- An appeal for the life of Ashraf Fayadh, the poet sentenced to death in Saudi Arabia
- The case of Jackie N. An urgent appeal to the dutch authorities
- Urgent action - A cry for justice: UN and EU must save Janet Kawuma
- October 29, 2015: Missile Attack on Camp Liberty
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- Russian Ministry of Justice refused Marriage Equality
- NYC: Brendan Fay - Protest At Iraq Mission Murders Gay Men
- Jamaican Boycott Rum Dump at Historic Stonewall Inn
- Gay Iraqi May Face Death Penalty
- San Francisco Gays Protest 6 Gay Iraqi Murders, April 6 2009
- Rama Yade, Maxime Verhagen - ONU, 18 décembre 2008 (Full)
- Rama Yade, Maxime Verhagen - ONU, New York, 18 décembre 2008
- Iraq: Queer Fear - Gay Life, Gay Death
- Pegah Emambakhsh's Interview - BBC Radio 4 - March 8th 2008
- Iran: Execution of 29 People, Sunday 27th July 2008
- South Africa: TAC, AIDS Groups Help “Foreigners"
- Mehdi Kazemi: EU Parliament Vote
- In the Name of God, or Gods, whatever
- Not so subtle call to kill gays.
- Ugandan 'leadership'
- Messing up my world....
- A Wet Sunday Afternoon
- Miscellaneous issues.....
- Madness in Ghana... Investigation of Homosexuals!!!!!
- Reparative Therapy.
- HIV Prevention....
- 30 years of HIV, AIDS
- Martyrs Day in Uganda....
- Its a Beautiful Day!
- Armenian Progressive Youth NGO: “LOVE means LOVE | Սերը՝ սեր է”
- “Women are different”: Celebration of LGBT-inclusive diversity as Armenia’s Feminist Platform marks International Women’s Day in Yerevan
- Prominent Armenia LGBT activist perfectly shuts down homophobic journalist by coming out… again
- Armenian parents who support their LGBT children after coming out
- Police in Karabakh target trendy haircuts to ‘prevent teenagers from turning gay’
- Hate crime in Yerevan: targeted in homophobic attack, then mocked by medical staff
- My LGBT heroes: People at PINK Armenia (The Guardian)
- Armenia ruling Republican party rep to constitutional referendum observer: "Go back to Holland to gay and lesbian parties"
- Why ARF Dashnaktsutyun in Armenia suck big time
- US Ambassador and UN office in Armenia in solidarity with LGBT activists amid homophobic hysteria and threats following groundbreaking Rainbow forum
- Bayer Healthcare distances itself from homophobic head of the Armenian Association of Young Doctors, avoids making public statement
- President of the Armenian Association of Young Doctors calls for anti-gay violence
- Our Dear Friend Doug Ireland Is Dead at 67 wp.me/p6Zdh-HZ 2 years ago
- Gays & Muslims Unite. Stop all Extremists by Peter Tatchell wp.me/p6Zdh-HS 2 years ago
- Babi Badalov, Gay Azerbaijani Artist Rejected by the UK Wins Asylum in France http://wp.me/p6Zdh-Hi 5 years ago
- A quién lloran los homosexuales polacos: http://wp.me/p6Zdh-Hb 6 years ago
- Saudi Jailed and Flogged for Gay Video (1,000 Lashes): http://wp.me/p6Zdh-H9 6 years ago
- Support Amnesty's Malawi Campaign - Call for Release of Steven Monjeza and Tiwonge Chimbalanga: http://wp.me/p6Zdh-H6 6 years ago
- Amnesty International Is Being Urged to Adopt Steven Monjeza and Tiwonge Chimbalanga as Prisoners of Conscience - By … http://wp.me/p6Zdh-H0 6 years ago
- Spain: IGLYO - Call for Participants - Legislating LGBTQ, a Conference on Anti-Discrimination Law - Castle of San Ser… http://wp.me/p6Zdh-GW 6 years ago
- UK: Greens Launch LGBT Manifesto: http://wp.me/p6Zdh-GT 6 years ago
- Babi Badalov: L'Homophobie (Artwork): http://wp.me/p6Zdh-GN 6 years ago
- Distorting Desire by Brian Whitaker, about Desiring Arabs by Joseph Massad
- Gays back disabled protest in Gibraltar – Peter Tatchell Supports Parents’ Demand for a Public Inquiry
- Gays Without Borders Newsletter Subscription
- Makwan Moloudzadeh, the Whole Story, by Doug Ireland
- Mehdi Kazemi Is Safe – EveryOne Group Celebrates With Allies And Announces New Human Right Campains
- Moses: The Passover Trip and Other Biblical Hallucinations
- Peter Tatchell: Asylum System is Criminal
- Peter Tatchell: Galloway’s Iranian Propaganda?
- Peter Tatchell: Gay Asylum Reform Proposals
- Petition for Mehdi Kazemi: Europe Must Stop Deportation of Iranian Queers
- Poster Folsom Europe Berlin, 01 September 07
- Poster Folsom Europe Berlin, 06 September 08 and Folsom Street Fair
- Statement on Human Rights, Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity
- Support the Iranian People, Oppose Tehran’s Clerical Fascism by Peter Tatchell
- Wrong Side Of The Tracks
Activism Ahmadinejad AIDS Ali Hili Asylum Christo-Fascism Death Penalty Deportation Execution France Gay Gay Life Gay Rights Gays Without Borders GLBT GWB Hanging Homophobia Homosexuality Human Rights Irak Iran Iraq Iraqi Iraqi LGBT Islam Islamism Lesbian Lesbianism LGBT LGBTQ LGBTT London Mehdi Kazemi Moscow News Nicolas Alexeyev Nikolai Alekseev Nikolai Alekseyev Outrage Peter Tatchell Queer Refugee Russia Uganda UK UN Universal Decriminalisation of Homosexuality US Vatican
- November 2013
- October 2013
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- May 2009
- April 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
- July 2008
- June 2008
- May 2008
- April 2008
- March 2008
- February 2008
- January 2008
- December 2007
- November 2007
- October 2007
- September 2007