SF: Gays Demand China Free AIDS Advocate at Olympic Torch Protest
April 9, 2008 in Activism, AIDS, Arrest, Asia, China, Gay, Gay Freedom, Gay Life, Gaynocide, Gays Without Borders, Georges W. Bush, GLBT, Hamzeh Chavi, Homosexuality, Hu Jia, Human Rights, LGBTT, Michael Petrelis, Olympic Torch, Outrage, Peter Tatchell, San Francisco, US
Gays Demand China Free AIDS Advocate at Olympic Torch Protest:
A press conference was supposed to be held today at 11 AM at United Nations Plaza by Tibetans living in the US, to demand China end its occupation of their country. I went to it expecting 2 or 3 dozen Tibetans and their supporters would be standing behind a microphone tree, explaining what they hope to accomplish as the Olympic torch passes through town.
What I found when I got there was a full-fledged rally, held in front of a large elevated stage near the north end of the plaza, and perhaps five-hundred protesters waving flags, chanting slogans and handing out flyers.
I hooked up with five other gay men who were there to call for the release of Chinese AIDS advocate Hu Jia, sentenced to three years in jail last week for pro-democracy advocacy, and to add our voices to the “Free Tibet” chorus.
Here are two photos of us posing for the cameras:
I’m proud a handful of us gays were present today, and will be attending other pro-Tibet events today and tomorrow, as the Olympic torch wends its way through San Francisco. And big thanks to the other gays who showed up today in support of our Tibetan friends and incarcerated AIDS advocate Hu Jia.
By Michael Petelis :
- Our Dear Friend Doug Ireland Is Dead at 67
- Gays & Muslims Unite. Stop all Extremists by Peter Tatchell
- Saudi Jailed and Flogged for Gay Video (1,000 Lashes)
- Support Amnesty’s Malawi Campaign – Call for Release of Steven Monjeza and Tiwonge Chimbalanga
- Spain: IGLYO – Call for Participants – Legislating LGBTQ, a Conference on Anti-Discrimination Law – Castle of San Servando, Toledo, From May 30th to June 4th 2010
- UK Scouts Condemn Uganda Anti-Homosexuality Bill – By Peter Tatchell
- Russia: A Homophobe, Vasily Likhachev, Appointed Deputy Minister of Justice
- Russia: Religious and Nationalist Groups Call for the Ban of St Petersburg Pride
- Nepal: Eight Transgenders Join UML Party
- Russia Denied Registering Marriage Equality Russia, a Gay Group Campaigning for Marriage Equality
- US government targets gay community with $35M ‘stop smoking’ ad campaign
- JK Rowling just apologised for killing off a beloved character
- Eurovision Song Contest to be broadcast in the US for first time
- Texas man branded a ‘f**king faggot’ by thugs who savagely beat him outside his own home
- US government: Bangladesh must act over murder of gay journalist
- WATCH: Australia now has an openly gay Imam
- This Russian MP is trying to start his own family-friendly folk Eurovision rival
- US Attorney General: Transgender rights are about fundamental fairness
- LGBT diversity in film has dropped, study finds
- UK Salvation Army chief defends ban on gay members
- Two prom queens is ‘not fair on the boys’
- Politician: I ‘misspoke’ when I opposed same-sex relationships
- South Africa: OUT launches campaign to alert gay men of dangers of casual sex dates
- Maurice Tomlinson's David Kato Award Speech
- Video: Ban Ki Moon 'Respect gay rights' to African leaders
- Ban Ki Moon to African Union: Respect gay rights
- Uganda: Activists pay tribute to David Kato one year since murder
- Kenya: Blackmail and extortion of gay men on the rise
- "Ich bin ein Niemand" ["I'm a nobody"]: Gay Iranian refused German asylum
- Evil against LGBT: Ostensibly in the name of god + the law
- 'Homosexual panic' grips Tunisian politics
- Video: In US, another gay bi-national couple faces deportation
- New research on mental health of LGBT refugees
- Israel refuses citizenship for Israeli man's husband
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- A sign of Solidarity to the Members of the EP and EC
- Urgent action to protect the Ugandan refugee Jane M.
- Appeal for H. S. and his family, that live in Gambia in tragic conditions
- Urgent Appeal. Camp Liberty (Iraq) under an imminent attack again
- Refugees: a message from the Netherlands
- An appeal for the life of Ashraf Fayadh. The World Poetry Movement relaunches it
- An appeal for the life of Ashraf Fayadh, the poet sentenced to death in Saudi Arabia
- The case of Jackie N. An urgent appeal to the dutch authorities
- Urgent action - A cry for justice: UN and EU must save Janet Kawuma
- October 29, 2015: Missile Attack on Camp Liberty
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- Russian Ministry of Justice refused Marriage Equality
- NYC: Brendan Fay - Protest At Iraq Mission Murders Gay Men
- Jamaican Boycott Rum Dump at Historic Stonewall Inn
- Gay Iraqi May Face Death Penalty
- San Francisco Gays Protest 6 Gay Iraqi Murders, April 6 2009
- Rama Yade, Maxime Verhagen - ONU, 18 décembre 2008 (Full)
- Rama Yade, Maxime Verhagen - ONU, New York, 18 décembre 2008
- Iraq: Queer Fear - Gay Life, Gay Death
- Pegah Emambakhsh's Interview - BBC Radio 4 - March 8th 2008
- Iran: Execution of 29 People, Sunday 27th July 2008
- South Africa: TAC, AIDS Groups Help “Foreigners"
- Mehdi Kazemi: EU Parliament Vote
- In the Name of God, or Gods, whatever
- Not so subtle call to kill gays.
- Ugandan 'leadership'
- Messing up my world....
- A Wet Sunday Afternoon
- Miscellaneous issues.....
- Madness in Ghana... Investigation of Homosexuals!!!!!
- Reparative Therapy.
- HIV Prevention....
- 30 years of HIV, AIDS
- Martyrs Day in Uganda....
- Its a Beautiful Day!
- Armenian Progressive Youth NGO: “LOVE means LOVE | Սերը՝ սեր է”
- “Women are different”: Celebration of LGBT-inclusive diversity as Armenia’s Feminist Platform marks International Women’s Day in Yerevan
- Prominent Armenia LGBT activist perfectly shuts down homophobic journalist by coming out… again
- Armenian parents who support their LGBT children after coming out
- Police in Karabakh target trendy haircuts to ‘prevent teenagers from turning gay’
- Hate crime in Yerevan: targeted in homophobic attack, then mocked by medical staff
- My LGBT heroes: People at PINK Armenia (The Guardian)
- Armenia ruling Republican party rep to constitutional referendum observer: "Go back to Holland to gay and lesbian parties"
- Why ARF Dashnaktsutyun in Armenia suck big time
- US Ambassador and UN office in Armenia in solidarity with LGBT activists amid homophobic hysteria and threats following groundbreaking Rainbow forum
- Bayer Healthcare distances itself from homophobic head of the Armenian Association of Young Doctors, avoids making public statement
- President of the Armenian Association of Young Doctors calls for anti-gay violence
- Our Dear Friend Doug Ireland Is Dead at 67 wp.me/p6Zdh-HZ 2 years ago
- Gays & Muslims Unite. Stop all Extremists by Peter Tatchell wp.me/p6Zdh-HS 2 years ago
- Babi Badalov, Gay Azerbaijani Artist Rejected by the UK Wins Asylum in France http://wp.me/p6Zdh-Hi 5 years ago
- A quién lloran los homosexuales polacos: http://wp.me/p6Zdh-Hb 6 years ago
- Saudi Jailed and Flogged for Gay Video (1,000 Lashes): http://wp.me/p6Zdh-H9 6 years ago
- Support Amnesty's Malawi Campaign - Call for Release of Steven Monjeza and Tiwonge Chimbalanga: http://wp.me/p6Zdh-H6 6 years ago
- Amnesty International Is Being Urged to Adopt Steven Monjeza and Tiwonge Chimbalanga as Prisoners of Conscience - By … http://wp.me/p6Zdh-H0 6 years ago
- Spain: IGLYO - Call for Participants - Legislating LGBTQ, a Conference on Anti-Discrimination Law - Castle of San Ser… http://wp.me/p6Zdh-GW 6 years ago
- UK: Greens Launch LGBT Manifesto: http://wp.me/p6Zdh-GT 6 years ago
- Babi Badalov: L'Homophobie (Artwork): http://wp.me/p6Zdh-GN 6 years ago
- Distorting Desire by Brian Whitaker, about Desiring Arabs by Joseph Massad
- Gays back disabled protest in Gibraltar – Peter Tatchell Supports Parents’ Demand for a Public Inquiry
- Gays Without Borders Newsletter Subscription
- Makwan Moloudzadeh, the Whole Story, by Doug Ireland
- Mehdi Kazemi Is Safe – EveryOne Group Celebrates With Allies And Announces New Human Right Campains
- Moses: The Passover Trip and Other Biblical Hallucinations
- Peter Tatchell: Asylum System is Criminal
- Peter Tatchell: Galloway’s Iranian Propaganda?
- Peter Tatchell: Gay Asylum Reform Proposals
- Petition for Mehdi Kazemi: Europe Must Stop Deportation of Iranian Queers
- Poster Folsom Europe Berlin, 01 September 07
- Poster Folsom Europe Berlin, 06 September 08 and Folsom Street Fair
- Statement on Human Rights, Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity
- Support the Iranian People, Oppose Tehran’s Clerical Fascism by Peter Tatchell
- Wrong Side Of The Tracks
Activism Ahmadinejad AIDS Ali Hili Asylum Christo-Fascism Death Penalty Deportation Execution France Gay Gay Life Gay Rights Gays Without Borders GLBT GWB Hanging Homophobia Homosexuality Human Rights Irak Iran Iraq Iraqi Iraqi LGBT Islam Islamism Lesbian Lesbianism LGBT LGBTQ LGBTT London Mehdi Kazemi Moscow News Nicolas Alexeyev Nikolai Alekseev Nikolai Alekseyev Outrage Peter Tatchell Queer Refugee Russia Uganda UK UN Universal Decriminalisation of Homosexuality US Vatican
- November 2013
- October 2013
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- May 2009
- April 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
- July 2008
- June 2008
- May 2008
- April 2008
- March 2008
- February 2008
- January 2008
- December 2007
- November 2007
- October 2007
- September 2007