Russia: Religious and Nationalist Groups Call for the Ban of St Petersburg Pride
March 1, 2010 in Gay, Gay Life, Gay Parade, Gay Pride, Gay Rights, Gay Russia, GLBT, Homophobia, Homosexuality, LGBT, Nationalist, Nicolas Alexeyev, Orthodox Church, Russian Imperial Movement, St Petersburg Pride, St. Petersburg, Valentina Matvienko
Religious and Nationalist Groups call for the ban of St Petersburg Pride
Sent by Nicolas Alexeyev
Extracts of a letter addressed to the Governor of the City.
A group of Religious and Nationalist organizations sent a common letter to the Governor of St Petersburg, Valentina Matvienko, asking her to prohibit any gay pride march in the city.
The letter of which ‘rusk.ru’ received a copy says:
“We are categorically against holding any public events, which in any way present a propaganda of sexual perversions.
“Any parade is a demonstration – demonstration is a form of propaganda. As a result, a gay pride is a propaganda of homosexuality.
“Love between a man and a woman exists only for one purpose – to give birth to a new life but gay pride is the propaganda of death”
“But why does no one remember that holding these actions grossly violates the right of the majority and is doubtful from the point of moral action?
“After all, for the majority of our country and, in particular, for our city, homosexuality is an unacceptable deviation from the norm, a moral rejection and a disgust.
“We are constantly told that democracy is the government of majority, but it turns out that the interests of the majority would be sacrificed to a handful of people with unnatural sexual orientation”
The statement is signed by several nationalists and religious groups among them “Intellectuals of the Orthodox Church; Russian Imperial Movement; Movement “For Faith and Fatherland”, “People’s Cathedral”, “Imperial Russia Union”.
The first official gay pride in St Petersburg is scheduled on June 26.
- Support Amnesty’s Malawi Campaign – Call for Release of Steven Monjeza and Tiwonge Chimbalanga
- Spain: IGLYO – Call for Participants – Legislating LGBTQ, a Conference on Anti-Discrimination Law – Castle of San Servando, Toledo, From May 30th to June 4th 2010
- UK Scouts Condemn Uganda Anti-Homosexuality Bill – By Peter Tatchell
- Russia: A Homophobe, Vasily Likhachev, Appointed Deputy Minister of Justice
- Russia: Religious and Nationalist Groups Call for the Ban of St Petersburg Pride
- Nepal: Eight Transgenders Join UML Party
- Russia Denied Registering Marriage Equality Russia, a Gay Group Campaigning for Marriage Equality
- Uganda: Interview with Frank Mugisha, Ugandan LGBTI Activist
- UK: Protest the Pope Downing Street Petition Launched – Gordon Brown Urged to Disassociate the Government from Pope’s Views – By Peter Tatchell
- False Gay Marriage Rumor Sparks Kenyan Riots – By Doug Ireland
- The state of play on the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill in the House of Lords committee stage
- US: Florida LGBT groups launch effort to repeal state ban on equal marriage
- Travel: Is Las Vegas a ‘Fabulous’ gay holiday destination?
- Humanist weddings amendment withdrawn from equal marriage bill
- Russia: LGBT rights group fined 500,000 rubles under ‘foreign agent’ law
- Amendments urging for civil registrars to opt out of equal marriage ceremonies withdrawn from bill
- Gay fashioner designer Stefano Gabbana sentenced for tax evasion
- US: Third Republican Senator comes out in favour of equal marriage
- South Africa: Gay imam spreads message of empowerment when it comes to homosexuality and Islam
- South Australia officially congratulates New Zealand on equal marriage, ahead of introduction of its own bill
- Watch LIVE: House of Lords debates same-sex marriage amendments
- Deputy Speaker Nigel Evans: ‘I continue to refute all allegations’
- South Africa: OUT launches campaign to alert gay men of dangers of casual sex dates
- Raped and tortured Nigerian in danger of being deported
- Maurice Tomlinson's David Kato Award Speech
- Video: Ban Ki Moon 'Respect gay rights' to African leaders
- Ban Ki Moon to African Union: Respect gay rights
- Uganda: Activists pay tribute to David Kato one year since murder
- Kenya: Blackmail and extortion of gay men on the rise
- "Ich bin ein Niemand" ["I'm a nobody"]: Gay Iranian refused German asylum
- Evil against LGBT: Ostensibly in the name of god + the law
- 'Homosexual panic' grips Tunisian politics
- Video: In US, another gay bi-national couple faces deportation
- New research on mental health of LGBT refugees
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- ‘Homosexual propaganda’ bans are incompatible with the European Convention on Human Rights and should be repealed
- New EU law on asylum procedures
- Russia adopts homophobic federal law banning propaganda of ‘non-traditional sexual relations’
- EU supports proposal to work on health and well-being of LGBTI people
- Trans Rights Europe Map
- Camp Liberty (Iraq): A Desperate Appeal to the United Nations
- We are close to Mandela
- Kobler's Blood Trade at the European Parliament’s Foreign Affairs Committee
- Sham judicial decree against the People’s Mojahedin Organization
- Milan. Tomorrow, human rights explained to young people
- Adieu, Beni!
- Letter of 1000 women residents of Camp Liberty
- Iraq, the European Parliament is working to protect the Liberty residents
- International Literary Prize Juan Montalvo
- Urgent appeal for Camp Liberty (Iraq)
- Frank Mugisha: Part 2 - Interview with Ugandan LGBTI Activist
- Frank Mugisha: Part 1 - Interview with Ugandan LGBTI Activist
- Peter Tatchell: Malawi Intensifies Prosecution of Gays (II)
- Peter Tatchell: Malawi Intensifies Prosecution of Gays (I)
- Malawian Gay Couple Appear in Court
- Davis Mac-Iyalla (Nigeria and co-founder of GAAI)
- Anarşi NİhilisT - Anarchist Protest in Turkey
- Support Israeli Human Rights Activist Ezra Nawi
- Robert Badinter Speech - World Congress Against Homophobia and Transphobia - Paris 15 May 2009
- Slavic Pride 2009: 40 Arrested - Tatchell Is Speaking
- Slavic Pride 2009: 40 Arrested - Andy Thayer Speaking
- Slavic Pride 2009: 40 Arrested
- Russian Ministry of Justice refused Marriage Equality
- NYC: Brendan Fay - Protest At Iraq Mission Murders Gay Men
- Jamaican Boycott Rum Dump at Historic Stonewall Inn
- Gay Iraqi May Face Death Penalty
- San Francisco Gays Protest 6 Gay Iraqi Murders, April 6 2009
- Rama Yade, Maxime Verhagen - ONU, 18 décembre 2008 (Full)
- Rama Yade, Maxime Verhagen - ONU, New York, 18 décembre 2008
- Iraq: Queer Fear - Gay Life, Gay Death
- Pegah Emambakhsh's Interview - BBC Radio 4 - March 8th 2008
- Iran: Execution of 29 People, Sunday 27th July 2008
- South Africa: TAC, AIDS Groups Help “Foreigners"
- Mehdi Kazemi: EU Parliament Vote
- In the Name of God, or Gods, whatever
- Not so subtle call to kill gays.
- Ugandan 'leadership'
- Messing up my world....
- A Wet Sunday Afternoon
- Miscellaneous issues.....
- Madness in Ghana... Investigation of Homosexuals!!!!!
- Reparative Therapy.
- HIV Prevention....
- 30 years of HIV, AIDS
- Martyrs Day in Uganda....
- Its a Beautiful Day!
- Double pleasure: James Franco exhibit and 'Psycho' film intro in London
- Radio Yerevan (AM) by Armen Ohanyan: Մի սիրո պատմություն, կամ գույնափոխ Երևան
- Part IV: the aftermath of church-led homophobic attacks in Georgia. PM Ivanishvili delivers groundbreaking Independence Day speech
- Amnesty International names and shames Armenia's ԷՇ + more
- Part III: Criminal church: Georgian Orthodox Church incited and led anti-gay attacks in Tbilisi
- Armenia: video against anti-LGBT bullying in schools - Words hurt | Բառերը խոցում են
- First Memorandum by the Regional Network Against Homophobia (Middle East, North Africa, Balkans, South Caucasus)
- PINK Armenia: Rainbow flashmob to mark IDAHO in Yerevan
- Part II: LGBT activists under attack in Tbilisi: Georgian police and politicians
- Part I: Victory for homophobes. Defeat for Georgia
- Armenia - at the bottom of Europe re human rights protection of its LGBT citizens
- Respects: Georgia PM Ivanishvili publicly supports rights of LGBT citizens ahead of IDAHO rally in Tbilisi
- Babi Badalov, Gay Azerbaijani Artist Rejected by the UK Wins Asylum in France http://wp.me/p6Zdh-Hi 2 years ago
- A quién lloran los homosexuales polacos: http://wp.me/p6Zdh-Hb 3 years ago
- Saudi Jailed and Flogged for Gay Video (1,000 Lashes): http://wp.me/p6Zdh-H9 3 years ago
- Support Amnesty's Malawi Campaign - Call for Release of Steven Monjeza and Tiwonge Chimbalanga: http://wp.me/p6Zdh-H6 3 years ago
- Amnesty International Is Being Urged to Adopt Steven Monjeza and Tiwonge Chimbalanga as Prisoners of Conscience - By … http://wp.me/p6Zdh-H0 3 years ago
- Spain: IGLYO - Call for Participants - Legislating LGBTQ, a Conference on Anti-Discrimination Law - Castle of San Ser… http://wp.me/p6Zdh-GW 3 years ago
- UK: Greens Launch LGBT Manifesto: http://wp.me/p6Zdh-GT 3 years ago
- Babi Badalov: L'Homophobie (Artwork): http://wp.me/p6Zdh-GN 3 years ago
- UK Scouts condemn Uganda Anti-Homosexuality Bill - By Peter Tatchell: http://wp.me/p6Zdh-GH 3 years ago
- Russia: Religious and Nationalist Groups Call for the Ban of St Petersburg Pride: http://wp.me/p6Zdh-Gx 3 years ago
- Distorting Desire by Brian Whitaker, about Desiring Arabs by Joseph Massad
- Gays back disabled protest in Gibraltar – Peter Tatchell Supports Parents’ Demand for a Public Inquiry
- Gays Without Borders Newsletter Subscription
- Makwan Moloudzadeh, the Whole Story, by Doug Ireland
- Mehdi Kazemi Is Safe – EveryOne Group Celebrates With Allies And Announces New Human Right Campains
- Moses: The Passover Trip and Other Biblical Hallucinations
- Peter Tatchell: Asylum System is Criminal
- Peter Tatchell: Galloway’s Iranian Propaganda?
- Peter Tatchell: Gay Asylum Reform Proposals
- Petition for Mehdi Kazemi: Europe Must Stop Deportation of Iranian Queers
- Poster Folsom Europe Berlin, 01 September 07
- Poster Folsom Europe Berlin, 06 September 08 and Folsom Street Fair
- Statement on Human Rights, Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity
- Support the Iranian People, Oppose Tehran’s Clerical Fascism by Peter Tatchell
- Wrong Side Of The Tracks
Activism Ahmadinejad AIDS Ali Hili Asylum Christo-Fascism Death Penalty Deportation Execution France Gay Gay Life Gay Rights Gays Without Borders GLBT GWB Hanging Homophobia Homosexuality Human Rights Irak Iran Iraq Iraqi Iraqi LGBT Islam Islamism Lesbian Lesbianism LGBT LGBTQ LGBTT London Mehdi Kazemi Moscow News Nicolas Alexeyev Nikolai Alekseev Nikolai Alekseyev Outrage Peter Tatchell Queer Refugee Russia Uganda UK UN Universal Decriminalisation of Homosexuality US Vatican
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- May 2009
- April 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
- July 2008
- June 2008
- May 2008
- April 2008
- March 2008
- February 2008
- January 2008
- December 2007
- November 2007
- October 2007
- September 2007