Gay Holocaust Memorial Unveiled in Berlin
May 28, 2008 in Albrecht Becker, Berlin, Deportation, Gay, Gay Rights, Germany, GLBT, Holocaust, Homosexuality, Ingar Dragset, LGBT, Memorial, Michael Elmgreen, Paragraph 175, Pierre Seel, Pink Triangle, WWII
A memorial to the thousands of gay men who died in Nazi concentration camps will be officially dedicated today.
It is being constructed opposite the main Holocaust memorial for Jewish victims in Tiergarten Park in Berlin at a cost of 600,000 euros (£450,000).
The government agreed to the design earlier this year, four years after the memorial was agreed in principle.
Ingar Dragset and Michael Elmgreen have designed a grey concrete slab, with a window to allow visitors to view a video.
There will be a video which show either two men kissing, Berlin’s first memorial to the Nazi’s gay victims.
Its design echoes Peter Eisenman’s Berlin memorial to the Nazis’ Jewish victims, a vast field of more than 2,700 slabs.
The German parliament approved the construction of the memorial in December 2003.
Between 5,000 and 15,000 gay men were held in concentration camps by the Nazis as members of an “anti-social group.”
Historians estimate that 60% of them died while incarcerated.
After the war gay men were not recognised as victims of the Holocaust and many were re-imprisoned by the authorities because of the sexuality.
They were denied the reparations and state pensions available to other groups. In 2002 the German government formally pardoned homosexuals imprisoned by the Nazis.
As well as an estimated six million Jews, hundreds of thousands of Roma people died in Nazi concentration camps. A memorial to them will be constructed later this year.
- Our Dear Friend Doug Ireland Is Dead at 67
- Gays & Muslims Unite. Stop all Extremists by Peter Tatchell
- Saudi Jailed and Flogged for Gay Video (1,000 Lashes)
- Support Amnesty’s Malawi Campaign – Call for Release of Steven Monjeza and Tiwonge Chimbalanga
- Spain: IGLYO – Call for Participants – Legislating LGBTQ, a Conference on Anti-Discrimination Law – Castle of San Servando, Toledo, From May 30th to June 4th 2010
- UK Scouts Condemn Uganda Anti-Homosexuality Bill – By Peter Tatchell
- Russia: A Homophobe, Vasily Likhachev, Appointed Deputy Minister of Justice
- Russia: Religious and Nationalist Groups Call for the Ban of St Petersburg Pride
- Nepal: Eight Transgenders Join UML Party
- Russia Denied Registering Marriage Equality Russia, a Gay Group Campaigning for Marriage Equality
- US: Gay vice principal ‘fired for getting married’ sues Catholic school
- US: Lesbian couple found murdered ‘next to dumpster’ in Texas
- Watch: This Utah man’s heartfelt plea for gay equality has to be seen
- US: Virginia appeals against same-sex marriage to be heard in May
- US: Church drops case against pastor who officiated at gay son’s wedding
- Lib Dem Baroness Barker: ‘New Look’s revised discount policy shows that equality is good for business’
- Gay NFL hopeful Michael Sam releases rainbow range of #StandWithSam t-shirts
- MP Nigel Evans denies raping university student
- Tory Vice Chair: New Look’s HR department ‘should be shot’ for gay partners discount fiasco
- Lorde shoots down Taylor Swift lesbian ‘joke’
- Jury told Nigel Evans assaulted man inside parliamentary bar
- Tory MP Mike Freer: New Look’s gay discount issue shows we still need to be vigilant about equality
- South Africa: OUT launches campaign to alert gay men of dangers of casual sex dates
- Raped and tortured Nigerian in danger of being deported
- Maurice Tomlinson's David Kato Award Speech
- Video: Ban Ki Moon 'Respect gay rights' to African leaders
- Ban Ki Moon to African Union: Respect gay rights
- Uganda: Activists pay tribute to David Kato one year since murder
- Kenya: Blackmail and extortion of gay men on the rise
- "Ich bin ein Niemand" ["I'm a nobody"]: Gay Iranian refused German asylum
- Evil against LGBT: Ostensibly in the name of god + the law
- 'Homosexual panic' grips Tunisian politics
- Video: In US, another gay bi-national couple faces deportation
- New research on mental health of LGBT refugees
- Camp Liberty (Iraq), another appeal to the United Nations and the U.S. Government
- Urgent appeal to the authorities of the Netherlands not to deport Clydel K.
- A letter from Camp Liberty (Iraq)
- European External Action Service risponde a EveryOne Group
- Prêmio Internacional Petreca Dini 2013 a Steed Gamero
- Secret burial of 52 Ashraf victims: an appeal to OHCHR
- Persécution des Roms: le Conseil de l'Europe répond à EveryOne Group
- Giovanni Palatucci remains Righteous. Declares Yad Vashem
- We have sent an appeal to the EU against the evictions of Roma families
- Roms: expulsions sans solutions alternatives en Italie
- Frank Mugisha: Part 2 - Interview with Ugandan LGBTI Activist
- Frank Mugisha: Part 1 - Interview with Ugandan LGBTI Activist
- Peter Tatchell: Malawi Intensifies Prosecution of Gays (II)
- Peter Tatchell: Malawi Intensifies Prosecution of Gays (I)
- Malawian Gay Couple Appear in Court
- Davis Mac-Iyalla (Nigeria and co-founder of GAAI)
- Anarşi NİhilisT - Anarchist Protest in Turkey
- Support Israeli Human Rights Activist Ezra Nawi
- Robert Badinter Speech - World Congress Against Homophobia and Transphobia - Paris 15 May 2009
- Slavic Pride 2009: 40 Arrested - Tatchell Is Speaking
- Slavic Pride 2009: 40 Arrested - Andy Thayer Speaking
- Slavic Pride 2009: 40 Arrested
- Russian Ministry of Justice refused Marriage Equality
- NYC: Brendan Fay - Protest At Iraq Mission Murders Gay Men
- Jamaican Boycott Rum Dump at Historic Stonewall Inn
- Gay Iraqi May Face Death Penalty
- San Francisco Gays Protest 6 Gay Iraqi Murders, April 6 2009
- Rama Yade, Maxime Verhagen - ONU, 18 décembre 2008 (Full)
- Rama Yade, Maxime Verhagen - ONU, New York, 18 décembre 2008
- Iraq: Queer Fear - Gay Life, Gay Death
- Pegah Emambakhsh's Interview - BBC Radio 4 - March 8th 2008
- Iran: Execution of 29 People, Sunday 27th July 2008
- South Africa: TAC, AIDS Groups Help “Foreigners"
- Mehdi Kazemi: EU Parliament Vote
- In the Name of God, or Gods, whatever
- Not so subtle call to kill gays.
- Ugandan 'leadership'
- Messing up my world....
- A Wet Sunday Afternoon
- Miscellaneous issues.....
- Madness in Ghana... Investigation of Homosexuals!!!!!
- Reparative Therapy.
- HIV Prevention....
- 30 years of HIV, AIDS
- Martyrs Day in Uganda....
- Its a Beautiful Day!
- From English National Ballet to my letterbox
- Tbilisi: "Combating Hate Crimes in Georgia" (LGBT advocacy video project)
- How homophobic posters turn into anti-homophobia message in Yerevan
- Yerevan diaries: Anecdote, Grindr and more :))
- Video: "Ես դեմ եմ Հոմոֆոբիային" / "I'm against homophobia"
- British Council Armenia continues shameful collaboration with homophobic media
- Armenian lesbian matchmaker to the straights kicks off season 2 with a serious message
- Notorious “burn gay hearts” Putin propagandist Kiselev established club in Armenia capital
- Azerbaijan LGBT rights activist commits suicide: “This country and this world are not for me”...
- Human Rights Watch: World Report 2014 on LGBT rights violations in Armenia and Georgia, silence re Azerbaijan
- Yerevan Diaries: camp design
- Our Dear Friend Doug Ireland Is Dead at 67 wp.me/p6Zdh-HZ 4 months ago
- Gays & Muslims Unite. Stop all Extremists by Peter Tatchell wp.me/p6Zdh-HS 4 months ago
- Babi Badalov, Gay Azerbaijani Artist Rejected by the UK Wins Asylum in France http://wp.me/p6Zdh-Hi 2 years ago
- A quién lloran los homosexuales polacos: http://wp.me/p6Zdh-Hb 3 years ago
- Saudi Jailed and Flogged for Gay Video (1,000 Lashes): http://wp.me/p6Zdh-H9 4 years ago
- Support Amnesty's Malawi Campaign - Call for Release of Steven Monjeza and Tiwonge Chimbalanga: http://wp.me/p6Zdh-H6 4 years ago
- Amnesty International Is Being Urged to Adopt Steven Monjeza and Tiwonge Chimbalanga as Prisoners of Conscience - By … http://wp.me/p6Zdh-H0 4 years ago
- Spain: IGLYO - Call for Participants - Legislating LGBTQ, a Conference on Anti-Discrimination Law - Castle of San Ser… http://wp.me/p6Zdh-GW 4 years ago
- UK: Greens Launch LGBT Manifesto: http://wp.me/p6Zdh-GT 4 years ago
- Babi Badalov: L'Homophobie (Artwork): http://wp.me/p6Zdh-GN 4 years ago
- Distorting Desire by Brian Whitaker, about Desiring Arabs by Joseph Massad
- Gays back disabled protest in Gibraltar – Peter Tatchell Supports Parents’ Demand for a Public Inquiry
- Gays Without Borders Newsletter Subscription
- Makwan Moloudzadeh, the Whole Story, by Doug Ireland
- Mehdi Kazemi Is Safe – EveryOne Group Celebrates With Allies And Announces New Human Right Campains
- Moses: The Passover Trip and Other Biblical Hallucinations
- Peter Tatchell: Asylum System is Criminal
- Peter Tatchell: Galloway’s Iranian Propaganda?
- Peter Tatchell: Gay Asylum Reform Proposals
- Petition for Mehdi Kazemi: Europe Must Stop Deportation of Iranian Queers
- Poster Folsom Europe Berlin, 01 September 07
- Poster Folsom Europe Berlin, 06 September 08 and Folsom Street Fair
- Statement on Human Rights, Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity
- Support the Iranian People, Oppose Tehran’s Clerical Fascism by Peter Tatchell
- Wrong Side Of The Tracks
Activism Ahmadinejad AIDS Ali Hili Asylum Christo-Fascism Death Penalty Deportation Execution France Gay Gay Life Gay Rights Gays Without Borders GLBT GWB Hanging Homophobia Homosexuality Human Rights Irak Iran Iraq Iraqi Iraqi LGBT Islam Islamism Lesbian Lesbianism LGBT LGBTQ LGBTT London Mehdi Kazemi Moscow News Nicolas Alexeyev Nikolai Alekseev Nikolai Alekseyev Outrage Peter Tatchell Queer Refugee Russia Uganda UK UN Universal Decriminalisation of Homosexuality US Vatican
- November 2013
- October 2013
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- May 2009
- April 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
- July 2008
- June 2008
- May 2008
- April 2008
- March 2008
- February 2008
- January 2008
- December 2007
- November 2007
- October 2007
- September 2007